Membership in The New Haven Sail & Power Squadron is available for anyone who shares our common love of recreational boating and safety. Our members are committed to advancing the objectives of America's Boating Club: Boating Fellowship, Self Education, and Civic Service.
A Few of the Membership Benefits:
- Comradery with Experienced Boaters: USPS is the largest non-profit boating organization in the country. You will belong to an organization of knowledgeable boaters who are familiar with the local waters, the best anchorages, marinas and boat repair shops.
- Activities on and off the Water: You will have access to a variety of activities such as private or charter cruises, rallys, rendezvous, predicted log contests, raftings, and other on-water activities. There are also many social events and presentations from all aspects of the marine industry throughout the year.
- Boaters Education and Training: USPS Education opportunities includes an extensive curriculum on boating topics with a wide variety of classes and seminars. You may enroll in instructor led (classroom or hands on), self-paced multi-media training, or online training. The USPS Website has class and seminar descriptions at the following links:
- Savings on Boat Insurance: There are many marine insurance companies which provide discounts to those who complete advanced boating courses. This savings can be significant.
- USPS Network of Boaters: Access to members throughout the USA, Canada and even more distant areas: Thinking of boating in a river, lake or ocean far from home? USPS has a Port Captain program which will provide names and telephone numbers of local USPS members with local knowledge.
- Boating Publications: Receive the official USPS magazine The Ensign, the Sounds of 1 from District 1, and The Bulletin, the newsletter of New Haven Squadron.
- USPS Benefits: For a complete list of benefits USPS has compiled a Benefits Flyer, and a Benefits Webpage.
We also welcome past or current members of other USPS Squadrons or Canadian Power Squadrons.
Members of Sea Scouts are able to take USPS boating and navigation courses and join USPS as apprentice members. (Sea Scouts are a division of the Venturing Program of the Boy Scouts of America. The program is open to both young men and woman, between the ages of 14 and 20.)